So I've looked at my family's eating and exercise habits. Hmmmm, those kids didn't fall far from the tree. They snack all day - like me. They sit and watch t.v. (or play video games) - like me. They say, "just a second" - just like me.
Now, if I have my big ice water bottle sitting out on the counter, two of the three kids will drink from it. If I have a cup of Crystal Light out, they'll drink from that. So what does that say - hmmm, maybe I should always have the water sitting out.
The hubby had back surgery. Of course the first thing the doctors say is to lose weight, and he has but that wasn't why his back hurt. So he just recently had back surgery and the surgeon keeps emphasizing that he needs to keep losing the weight.
I've noticed my knee seems to be bothering me a lot more lately and while I think there is more going on in there than just my weight issues, but I do think the weight has led to the issues.
My oldest - 12 years old - has had to have blood tests to monitor his cholesterol for the past two years. He's been in the 98% range for height and weight. Luckily we've gotten the cholesterol numbers down, he's still pretty sedentary.
The oldest and I have signed up for a 5K. I've always looked into doing one but just never signed up. Then I ran across the Awesome '80s Run that will be in San Francisco in November and it was in my price range to sign us up. I figured if I actually signed us up, we'd be more motivated to do the training. I'm excited because the finishing medal is a metal cassette tape. Oh how I love the 80s, so this is right up my alley!!! I just worry for my knee.
Anyway, my point is that I really need to be a better model for my kids. Especially my daughter. I don't want her to grow up with my bad habits and lead to a life of insecurity like I have.

No comments:
Post a Comment